Making the Longevity Day on October 1
Some time ago the idea was raised to celebrate a special day by the longevity movement – the Longevity Day.
Now an excellent opportunity to do this is coming – the 1st of October, the official UN International Day of Older Persons http://www.un.org/en/events/olderpersonsday/
Let us make the Longevity Day on that day – the 1st of October this year!
Let us hold meetings and other events globally!
So far, people in about 30 countries have expressed their willingness to hold dedicated meetings and other events on that day.
The day is especially significant as, on that day, we have an excellent opportunity to link in the public mind the issue of AGING with the issue of ANTI-AGING research that is probably the only means to truly address and ameliorate the problem of aging.
Nowadays, the issues of aging and anti-aging are often considered separately. We can change this pattern of thought and say on that day:
DETERIORATIVE AGING is a PROBLEM, and ANTI-AGING RESEARCH for HEALTHY LONGEVITY can provide the SOLUTION!
On that day you can do several things:
1. Organize pro-longevity meetings in your area!
There is a precedent. On March 1 this year, meetings in support of longevity and longevity research have been held in over 20 countries. http://longevityalliance.org/for-the-future-of-longevity/.
We can organize more meetings in more countries now.
The range of the meetings (conferences/ seminars/ study groups/ public demonstrations) can range from large scale, to just meeting with a few friends. Every kind and scope of activity is precious.
If a meeting precisely on October 1 is for some reason less practical (a workday), you can organize a meeting close to that day on a weekend – in the framework of a “LONGEVITY WEEK”.
Please report about your plans to hold or participate in such a meeting.
2. During the meeting you can in fact establish a pro-longevity group in your area!
3. Physical meetings are best, but if completely impossible – organize on-line meetings, in as diverse media as possible.
4. Prepare special publications for that day and publish them in your blogs and other online resources.
5. Engage mainstream public media! The fact that this is an official international UN day of older persons, and the fact that such pro-longevity events are being organized all across the world – gives you an excellent opportunity to directly approach representatives of public media and offer them to cover the topic. This is an opportunity that should not be missed.
6. In the same way, you can approach politicians, public officials and other decision makers in your area. Point them to that day and the international organization around it, and attempt to raise their interest in
the issue of longevity research.
October 1 is not too far off. Still, with some minimal effort we can create a series of highly influential and positive events.
See the list of events currently organized around the world for the Longevity Day!
(The list is under construction and will be constantly updated and expanded)
If you would like to organize or participate in a meeting or other activity on or around that day, you can contact me directly. A report from different countries will later be made.
Coordinator – International LongevityAlliance